MrShy talks us in with the usual acknowledgments and introduces Renfield (who’s getting remarkably good at hitting his queue to say hello, these days!) and Neil. Renfield gives a brief itinerary on the show – OGW Commander Challenge, Ban List and rules changes in Commander, MrShy’s favourite OGW card for Commander and why and why we’re not talking about the Modern B & R.
Brief minute for Neil to tell us who he is as a Magic player (filthy tryhard casual who dabbles in modern but mostly)and why he’s here (because he loves commander and it’s a commander special).
Your (3) Week(s) in Magic
We’ve missed a show again due to real life, so we probably all have some catching up to do on what’s been happening in our Magic lives.
MrShy played in a 100 person Modern event, missed out on T8 but won a feature match on camera in round 6. He was on TarmoTwin. MrShy has been neglecting Magic a little to get his food blog (www.southwestofheaven.com) off the ground. MrShy also still has lots of painting to do. Finally, he is back on Temur Delver, because Twin is gone. Efro’s list from a recent CFB daily deck looks sweet, so he’s starting there.
Renfield has said goodbye to his group hug deck, only one week after playing kingmaker with it. He has also been getting bits together for his unfriendly modern land smasher deck, because he’s a bit of a nob when it comes to modern. Also there’s been some brewing with the new legends. Renfield has been sad about the loss of Prophet of Kruphix & isn’t sure what to do with his promos now.
Neil has been toying with Azorius Titan in Modern and returning to his first love in Commander: Mono-Red.
Section 1: Something, Something, Something, Ban List
Brief pass over the Modern and Pauper changes… “But that’s not what we are talking about, everyone has spoken about that and if we were to go into it, it would just be us flogging a dead horse”
New Commander rules changes:
- Mulligan rules
- The removal of rule 4. (Mana produced outside of the commanders colour identity no longer becomes colourless) making the Celestial Dawn lockout null, making Sen Triplets and Ice Cave better. Also means the colourless Eldrazi with the ◇ can’t be cast off the back of birds of paradise or city of brass et al.
- The severely spartan ban list addition. Prophet of Kruphix. Brief moment of silence.
Section 2: Commander Ban List
Chat about things that are on the ban list that shouldn’t (in our opinion) be.
There’s a bit of an imbalance in colour on the ban list, there are 38 cards on there (including prophet) and 8 are blue and 8 green. (including Prophet on both of those counts)
1 is red, 2 white and 4 black, with the rest being made of artifacts and one 5 colour spell.
For Reference, the current ban list (total 38 cards):
- Ancestral Recall – 3 cards for one mana. that’s fair. Odd this is here and not Treasure Cruise though.
- Black Lotus
- Braids, Cabal Minion- – forcing a sacrifice each turn is a powerful thing in EDH, but easy enough to deal with, dies to removal. was on the banned as commander list, they decided she was too dangerous to not stay banned.
- Coalition Victory
- Emrakul, the Aeons Torn – Extra turns are frowned upon, difficult to remove critters that give extra turns, and have evasion and a control ability built in. this was the best call on this entire list imo.
- Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
- Gifts Ungiven
- Library of Alexandria
- Limited Resources
- Mox Emerald
- Mox Jet
- Mox Pearl
- Mox Ruby
- Mox Sapphire
- Painter’s Servant – an odd case, banned to prevent grindstone and cards like it being too powerful. also, destroys the “commander” flavour. not overly powerful, but an enabler.
- Panoptic Mirror
- Primeval Titan
- Prophet of Kruphix – this was a somewhat upsetting ban list considering some of the decks i’ve played against recently. looks like seedborn muse and Vedalken Orrery will have to do.
- Protean Hulk
- Recurring Nightmare– yo dawg, i heard you like recursion, so we recurred your recursion, so you can recur as you recur. I love this card, but it is overpowered and does belong here.
- Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary – Originally “banned as commander” but allowable in the 99, when the other half of the ban list was abolished this guy stayed on the totally banned list.
- Sundering Titan
- Sway of the Stars
- Sylvan Primordial
- Time Vault
- Time Walk
- Tolarian Academy
- Trade Secrets – This was reprinted in a commander precon deck and was then banned, its basically the splinter twin of EDH banlist wise.
- Yawgmoth’s Bargain
Cards that should be banned…
- Blightsteel Colossus – indestructible that can remove anyone from play in one swing, how is this one not banned, the green titans are less powerful and didn’t escape the ban list. sheesh.
- Avacyn, Angel of hope – That’s the one that makes everything you own indestructible. most played in mono white where board wipes are a common thing.
- Iona, Shield of Emeria – A card that reads “lock your opponent out of the game” not a fun one.
- Deadeye Navigator – enabler of infinite combos.
- Blood Moon – Most EDH players play nonbasics as standard, and even with the change to rule 4 this one is still a lockout card.
- Runed Halo – Let’s remove all interaction with your commander.
- Sneak Attack
- Show and Tell
- Merciless Eviction – Becomes one of those oh so hated hard reset buttons with Mycosynth Lattice
Section 3: Blue Suede Brews
MrShy challenged Renfield to brew a deck with one of the new Oath legendary critters as commander.
Renfield took the BW cleric ally (Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim) and put it at the head of his tribal cleric deck… <queue the boos, hisses and micky taking>
But seriously… Renfield will speak about his decklist with some key interactions and combos.
The Deck: Neck Romancer http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalitas-traitor-of-ghet-edh-4/
Neil is re-brewing Bruna, Light of Alabaster as he tries to adjust to a more competitive playgroup, and toying with the ideas of Kytheon, Kaseto, and Ayli.
MrShy will talk about his Gruul deck and how Mina and Denn, Wildborn was practically made for it. Renfield spies a banning in edh for similar reasons to Prophet (too efficient, does too much for cheap)
Section 4 – Closing
Thanks to Neil for taking time out of his busy schedule to join us #unemployedbum
Thanks to Magic Madhouse for their continued sponsorship and promotion,
Thanks to the listeners for sticking with us, they should come speak to us on facebook and tumblr.
Altered Cards and Artwork:https://www.facebook.com/groups/317073058415183/
MrShy on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mrshypaintscards
Renfield286 on Facebook:www.facebook.com/Renfield286-594850733876099
AbS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/anythingbutstandard
Tumblr Blog: www.mtganythingbutstandard.tumblr.com
Magic Madhouse: www.magicmadhouse.co.uk
Music Courtesy of Luke Harwood: www.lukeharwood.co.uk
Neil’s Azorious Titan deck http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-azorius-control/
Editing and production by MrShy