- Entries into our contest is closed and we will announce the winners on our next episode, which will be recorded on January 6th. Thank you to all that participated!
- Matt Sperling starts a Twitter war with his comments about the SCG Players’ Championship being the “minor leagues”.
- Does he have a point? Do we agree/disagree with his comments?
- SCG PC Fantasy Draft for Chipotle, what did our rosters look like?
- Before getting into the results, let’s talk about the hits and misses from the tournament/coverage.
- The tournament structure was very confusing and didn’t make a lot of sense to people.
- Tiebreakers also played a huge role and were equally as confusing.
- There were no draws in this tournament, yet the rounds were timed. If players got to a point where they got to time + 5 turns, highest life total determined the game.
- While it promoted more drama with multiple elimination matches, was this really the best way to determine the best player?
- Video player profiles and deck techs for all of the standard and legacy decks was awesome.
- What would we like to see on the next go around?
- Brad Nelson defeats Gerard Fabiano in the finals to become the first ever SCG Players’ Champ!
- Reid Duke and BBD round out the top 4.
- Standard was very top-heavy with Sultai Whip decks. Gerard Fabiano and Reid Duke played No-Sidisi versions and relied more on Eidolon of Blossoms for card advantage.
- Jeskai Tokens was played by 4 different people and was not impressive overall. Only Ross Merriam ended with a positive record.
- U/W Heroic was played by 3 players and was also very underwhelming.
- BBD played the Abzan Aggro deck that we highlighted last week.
- Not too much to say about legacy. Not surprisingly, everyone played what they knew with the exception of Joe Lossett playing Reanimator instead of Miracles.
- How do we feel about the tournament as a whole?
- Mike and Morgan’s PPTQ story from a few weeks ago.
- Dave and Morgan make FNM their bitch!
- 1K Super IQ @ Comic Town on 12/27!
- Open Series Trials are still being run for Standard FNM over the next few weeks.
- SCG Standard Open is coming to Columbus January 3rd and 4th. New format, etc.
- 10K PTQ! Being run by Comic Town on Saturday, January 10th at the Columbus Convention Center. (cue John Cena music!)
TIP OF THE HAT
#Underground Dojo Keyboard Cagefighters
Khans of Tarkir being sweet
Shahar going back to back
Mike won an Open
The podcast turned one, we’re walking now!
GP Richmond for being the best tournament all year, fun trip
Discovery of Battle Box, the best format of all time
Props to Ray Perez for winning ROY
WAG OF THE FINGER
Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx being meh
Cheaters. Specifically Jared Boettcher for breaking Morgan’s heart
GP Chicago being frustrating
MTGO switching to V4, and being dog shit for the most part 🙁
Jordan for choosing WOW over us